- LL anxiety
- Wearable HR monitors
- Multimodal teaching
- Long-form interviews
- Shachter, J. (2021). Using Fitbits to physiologically measure Japanese English language learner speaking anxiety - A Proof of Concept. Forthcoming Masters in Research thesis (Psychology). Macquarie University.
- Shachter, J. (2021). Teaching reading skills in 'Surround Sound'. In P. Clements, R. Derrah, & P. Ferguson (Eds.), Communities of teachers & learners. JALT (In Press).
- Haswell, C. G., & Shachter, J. (2021). Turning a podcast into a research opportunity: The story of “Lost in Citations”. Kyushu University Studies in Languages and Cultures, 46, 33-41.
- Mitchell, T., & Shachter, J. (2021). The effects of gamified instruction on Japanese English language learner vocabulary recall. Kyushu Sangyo University Language Education and Research Center Journal, 16, 53-74.
- Shachter, J., & Stewart J. (2020). Designing and building The Fitbit™ Data Collection System. Common (Kyushu Sangyo University Computing and Networking Center Journal), 40, 84-104.
- Shachter, J., Kangas, M., Sweller, N., & Stewart, J. (2020). Proof of concept for an indicator of learner anxiety via wearable fitness trackers. In C. Stephanidis & M. Antona (Eds.), International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 385-392). Springer, Cham.
- Shachter, J. (2018). Tracking and Quantifying Japanese English Language Learner Speaking Anxiety. The Language Teacher, 42, 3-7.
- Mitchell, T., & Shachter, J. (2021). “The effects of gamified instruction on Japanese English language learner vocabulary recall,” to be presented at The JALTCALL 2021 Conference, (Online), June 4, 2021.
- Is there a need to integrate self-reported measures of Japanese college entrance examination test anxiety with heart rate response? To be presented at The PanSIG 2021 Conference, (Online), May 15, 2021
- Reporting the results of research and development developed in 2019 –– Designing and building The Fitbit Data Collection System, presented at Kyushu Sangyo University's Computer Network Center, Fukuoka, Japan, November 30, 2020.
- Using Fitbits to physiologically measure language learner speaking anxiety, presented at the Macquarie University graduate student showcase at The 46th annual JALT International Conference, (Online), November 24, 2020.
- Teaching reading skills in 'Surround Sound', presented at JALT International Conference, Online, November 16-23, 2020
- Proof of concept for an indicator of learner anxiety via wearable fitness trackers, presented at The Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) International Conference, Online, July 19-24, 2020
- A 'Surround Sound' approach to content-based reading instruction, presented at The Second Annual Performance in Education SIG in Sapporo Conference, Hokusei Gakuin University, Sapporo, Japan, February 1-2, 2020
- Can a Fitbit empirically measure learner anxiety? presented at The 45th Annual JALT International Conference, WINC AICHI, Nagoya, Japan, November 1-4, 2019
- Tracking and quantifying Japanese English language learner speaking anxiety, presented at The 27th Annual KOTESOL International Conference, Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul, October 12-13, 2019
- Using a ‘Surround Sound’ pedagogical construct to maximize efficacy in content-based reading instruction, presented at The 31st Annual Kyushu-Okinawa Chapter JACET Conference, Tokai University, Kumamoto, Japan, July 13, 2019
- Are your students nervous?, presented at The PanSIG 2019 Conference, Konan University, Nishinomiya, Japan, May 18-19, 2019
- Using a Nervousness Metric to Connect with Your Students and Increase Engagement. JACET Conference, Oct. 13, 2018. Fukuoka, Japan.
- Shachter, 2021. Collecting self-reported measures of verbal learning anxiety via iPad and correlating those measurements with objective heart rate measurements using Fitbits™ and The Fitbit Data Collection System (FDCS). Kiban Kenkyu (KSU Internal Grant).
- Shachter, 2020. Using Fitbits to explore the correlation between heart rate and self-reported Language Learning anxiety measurements, Kiban Kenkyu (KSU internal grant).
- Shachter, 2020. Masters in Research Grant, Macquarie University.
- Shachter, 2019. Testing the convergent validity of an original heart rate aggregation software, Sangaku Department (KSU internal grant).
- Shachter, 2019. Testing the convergent validity of an original heart rate aggregation software. JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research Activity Early Career Scientist. Rank (A).
- Shachter, 2019. Designing and building an original research web application which allows researchers to monitor language learning anxiety in real time via a physiological measure. 九州産業大学総合情報基盤センター研究開発計画補助金. (KSU internal grant)
- Shachter, 2018. Using wearable heart rate monitors to validate self-reported Learning Language Anxiety measurements. JSPS Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research Activity start-up. 順位 (A)
- The International Association for the Psychology of Language Learning